HEALTH TECHNICIAN SERVICES
School Health Technician Goals:
The primary goal of the school Health Technician in Lynwood Unified School District is to ensure optimum health of students so that they are better able to attain their learning potentials. This includes the following services:
- Early detection and follow-up of health problems.
- Health counseling/anticipatory guidance and education.
- Care of ill and injured students.
- Identification and control of communicable diseases.
- Assisting and planning appropriate educational placement of students.
Guidelines to Keeping Student at Home:
California Education Code 48211 states: School districts may exclude children of filthy or vicious habits or children suffering from contagious or infectious diseases.
Students should stay home if they have:
- A fever over 100 degrees by mouth
- Sores that are open or appear infected
- Any suspicious rashes
- Vomiting in the morning or since going to bed the night before
- Diarrhea in the morning or since going to bed the night before
- Persistent headache, stomachache, or earache
- Red eyes with discharge
- Head lice or nits
- Persistent cough, wheezing or breathing problems
- Not feeling well enough to participate in school activities
Physical Education Excuses:
If a student needs to be excused from PE for more than 3 days, a written request from the doctor must be presented to the school Health Technician. Excuses for 3 days or less must be in writing from a parent/legal guardian. Any appliance (crutches, slings, casts, etc.) requires a note from a physician. Students are expected to dress and participate in PE unless their injury prohibits them.